Happy 4th of July! Take a moment out of your day BBQ-ing, laughing with friends, parades, and watching fireworks to truly remember why this day is celebrated. July 4th is about patriotism and honoring the adoption of the Declaration of Independence on July 4, 1776, a day when our country’s founders declared independence from Great Britain. These powerful quotes remind us why we are proud to be Americans.
1. “Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better.” – Albert Camus
2. “Freedom makes a huge requirement of every human being. With freedom comes responsibility. For the person who is unwilling to grow up, the person who does not want to carry his own weight, this is a frightening prospect.” – Eleanor Roosevelt
3. “How important it is for us to recognize and celebrate our heroes and she-roes!” – Maya Angelou
4. “Freedom lies in being bold.” – Robert Frost
5. “The magic of America is that we’re a free and open society with a mixed population. Part of our security is our freedom.” – Madeleine Albright
6. “We must be free not because we claim freedom, but because we practice it.” — William Faulkner
7. “Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom.” – Albert Einstein
8. “Remember, remember always, that all of us, and you and I especially, are descended from immigrants and revolutionists.” – Franklin D. Roosevelt
9. “In the process of gaining our rightful place, we must not be guilty of wrongful deeds. Let us not seek to satisfy our thirst for freedom by drinking from the cup of bitterness and hatred. We must forever conduct our struggle on the high plane of dignity and discipline.” – Martin Luther King, Jr.
Have a safe and happy 4th of July!
Image: Timo Kohlenberg, Flickr