As the year changes, so do people. Many resolve to change either permanently or temporarily. I decided to separate these changes into resolutions and goals. To me, a resolution is an attempt to make a permanent change, while a goal can be achieved in a set amount of time. I believe everyone should have a New Year’s resolution and a New Year’s goal.
While resolutions are ambitious, they are often broken. For example, some people promise they will quit smoking, but the first time they slip up they consider the resolution broken. Even if you make a mistake, you don’t have to stop trying. This year, my resolution is to travel more. I want spend the rest of my life seeing more of the world.
Goals can be more easily accomplished. My New Year’s goal is to create a work of fiction this year. It could be anything. I just want to create something original within a year. I don’t necessarily need to work on it everyday or I could finish early. The point is to do it before the year is over. This has a lot less of the pressure that comes with a big resolution. Completing my goal might also give me the determination to follow through on my resolution.
Here are some ways to help you succeed:
1. Commit to one goal. I know it is tempting to chase a bunch of different ideas. You probably know how much you can handle. That said, I would recommend one goal to focus on so you don’t spread yourself too thin.
2. Write down your goal and place it somewhere where you will see it everyday. Your bathroom mirror or your desk is a good idea. You might not be inspired everyday, but you’ll get a reminder of what needs to be done.
3. Track your progress. Whether you are completing a painting, running a marathon, or learning to drive, putting in time is going to help you accomplish your goal. Tracking your progress will give you an idea of how long it will take you to succeed. It will also make accomplishing your goal easier because you’ll know you don’t have to do it all at once. You can write the amount of time you put in or your progress per month.
4. Make time for yourself. Keep a block of time free for your activity. Don’t get distracted.
5. Make the most of every second. We all get bored sometimes. Instead of wallowing, use that time to do something for yourself. Work towards your goal.
6. Get support from your friends. If you know anyone with the same interests, you can encourage each other to reach the same goal. You will keep each other on track and support each other.