This is one of my favorite quick and easy snacks to prepare. Portabellas are often called the meat of the vegetable world, so these little guys are super filling, and can double as an appetizer, wrap filler or salad topper.
Here’s what you’ll need to make about 30 garlicky portabella bites:
- 5 large portabella mushrooms
- 3 large eggs
- 4 cups garlic and herb breadcrumbs
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Remove the gills from the portabellas and rinse them.
- Slice them into strips. You can cut the strips in half if you want to make the bites smaller.
- Beat the three eggs together, mixing in the garlic powder and as much salt and pepper as you prefer.
- Dip the portabella strips in the egg mixture.
- Dip them into the bread crumbs, coating all sides of the portabella.
- Place a tbsp. olive oil in a pan and swirl to coat the pan.
- Place the pan over medium heat and place the portabella strips on the pan, cooking for around 3 minutes on each side. Depending on the size of your strips, you may need to cook for longer. When the crust is golden brown, flip them.
- Tip: to save for later, coat the mushrooms in the batter and put in the fridge for later – you can cook all of them up later in under 15 minutes!
These taste great with ranch dressing or aioli!
What smart snacks are you enjoying? Share below!
Image: Big Bear’s Wife